Thursday, December 30, 2010

Wintery Mix



Winter is so quiet. After the cacophony of spring and summer, insects, children, animals, games, an unnerving kind of silence settles in. The oppressive heat is long gone and the sky opens up with a kind of clarity you don't see in any other months. The earth came between the sun's light and the moon just above the manhattan skyline.



What I'm saying is winter doesn't settle on you. You settle in it. Everyone looked so smart in their fall coats, now we all look like sand people in our puffy jackets, faces hidden from each other (or the wind).



You can take the weather for what it is or you can look at it through many lenses. I hear many people using the lens of doing battle with the elements. Me vs. the ice, snow, rain, wind. In a battle someone has to lose. I'm looking at this weather with the lens of a child. Let's play! No one loses! Everyone wins!



I ran up and down my street, spinning, sinking, in the snow. Everything was wet - my hat, my boots, my legs, my gloves. But I was just so happy. I had to give the snow one final hug. We're going to have a great winter together.

No comments: