Monday, October 4, 2010

Falling.

There's something about the first 53 degree weather day that makes you think about fall (and inevitably, winter). Being outside today makes me think that I have some idea of what the coming months will bring. Just replace the rain with snow, drop the temperature 30 degrees and throw a huge coat on me - voila! Winter! I can't resist the urge to stay in bed reading a book until 2:30 pm. Especially when the gusts and sprinkles finally drive me to shut the window all the way and snuggle up in a blanket. I haven't seen the sun today. It could be 10am or 6pm outside. I did manage to pry myself out of bed, however, and went on a run in central park - something that might not happen come winter (and the end of marathon training). I might not like running anymore, but I do enjoy taking a long, warm shower after a cool run.

Central Park makes me want to be in the wilderness. The actual wilderness, not the man-made serenity the 843 acres of park afford me in my retreat from the concrete jungle of the city. I still hear sirens. I still get impossibly lost - something which should be impossible given that you can pretty much always see the buildings of downtown in the distance. Winding pathways and bridle paths and bike paths and car paths make it impossible to move in a straight line and the shortest way to get out is often the way you came. This tree looks like that other tree except that one over there who's leaves are changing.

Ah. Fall.

No comments: